Clockwise from top: Skyline at Shimla Southern Side, Indian Institute of Advanced Studies, Town Hall, Night view of Shimla and Christ Church. It is the principal commercial, cultural and sankat mochan in hindi pdf centre of the hilly regions of the state. Small hamlets were recorded prior to 1815 when British forces took control of the area. After reorganisation of state of Himachal Pradesh, the existing Mahasu district was named Shimla.
The colonial architecture and churches, the temples and the natural environment of the city attracts tourists. 2005 and is regarded as the biggest event of its kind in South Asia. Apart from being a tourism centre, the city is also an educational hub with a number of colleges and research institutions. The vast majority of the area occupied by the present-day Shimla city was dense forest during the 18th century. The Gurkha leaders were quelled by storming the fort of Malaun under the command of David Ochterlony in May 1815.
In a diary entry dated 30 August 1817, the Gerard brothers, who surveyed the area, describe Shimla as “a middling-sized village where a fakir is situated to give water to the travellers”. 1822, near what is now the Himachal Pradesh Legislative Assembly building. The accounts of the Britain-like climate started attracting several British officers to the area during the hot Indian summers. By 1826, some officers had started spending their entire vacation in Shimla. Shimla and stayed in the Kennedy House. Commander-in-Chief of the British forces in India, stayed at the same residence. During his stay, a three-mile road and a bridge were constructed near Jakhu.